Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Down with western food! (i.e. western food in china is bad!)

Ok, so I'm in my last day here in Yangshou and it's by far my least favorite city. Adam has likened it to a ski resort village, full of bars, restaurants and nick knack tourist shops and it really feels like one (just in China with Chinese style buildings). Since Yangshou is one of the main touristy cities it really caters to the westerner and well I don't want to be catered to really! Besides the fact that they serve breakfast (rice porridge was sooo not cutting it) I'm having a hard time stuffing my face with authentic food (yep that's right I'm complaining about food of all things!). Yet there have been some really fun activities we've done here. After my first acupuncture treatment Adam, Nick and I walked along the river and hiked down a local trail until we came to a little bamboo raft that locals were using for a river crossing. Pretty neat! The walk was fabulous for viewing the huge Karsts (limestone peaks) and walking through the local villages. That evening we hit up Monkey Janes rooftop bar and soaked in the spectacular view with a few drinks. Again the next morning I went in for more acupuncture,cupping (over the needles this time) and more therapeutic massage. After the first treatment my back was considerably much better and Dr. Lily recommended that I come in as many days as I could. That afternoon Nick and I decided to climb the highest Karst in town (the one with the TV tower on it) since he had received directions to the trail from a local. Oh boy was it a climb (we were completely drenched with sweat too!)! We hiked up and up rocky stairs that took us up to the best view ever! The karst are so beautiful (the saving grace of Yangshou really) and majestic. That afternoon the whole group went to a local cooking school and learned how to make traditional dishes. It was so much fun! We ended up making five dishes all for our own dinner. I made sure to complement the chef, she did an amazing job ;-)! Today we climbed aboard mountain bikes and trekked through villages, fields and only about five seconds of pavement to reach Moon Hill. After climbing the 1500 or so steps up to the site we viewed the natural karst that has an arch shape to it so you can view through it (sorry my descriptions are a bit lacking today). We biked to the village below and had one the best local meal ever (I came for traditional food and I totally ate the best of it today!)! Then after sweating through my shirt three times today (biking to moon hill, hiking up moon hill and then biking back to the home stay, ick I was really gross too) I showered and heading back to Yangshou for my last treatment with Dr. Lily. I have to say I'm really glad I've been going, I'm still really sore (on my monkey tail as she says they call it here!) but I'm not in massive amounts of pain just walking or moving anymore. So it looks like no yoga until I fully heal and I need a lot of therapeutic massage and acupuncture when I get home (Why can't health insurance cover this?). Tomorrow we trek out to Longji to hike the rice terraces and stay in the rice paddies! And this time I'll really post some pics, sorry lunch called to me last time!

3 comments:

Matt said...

I can't believe you got to go to a bar with monkey in name. You travel around half the world and you cannot escape the monkey. As always, loving the pictures, thanks for giving me a small break from appraisal doldrums. Take care!

Unknown said...

A chaos button! To good. Seriously, I'm trying so hard not to laugh in the quite cubicle-land that I'm in right now. Ha! Oh my. You have chaos buttons, I have a grey cubicle.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.